Friday, December 5, 2008

细细品尝生活的酸甜苦辣

I like to spend time observing people. Just go sit at a café, on the bus, on the train. Look at the people around you, eavesdrop on phone conversations, make up stories about their lives – it’s entertainment on the go.

And to some extent indulging in such activity has helped me understand myself better. Why do I make these assumptions about so-and-so? Have I had a similar experience before? When did I meet someone like this? Was I ever like this before? Will I be in the future?

Actors, you know what I’m driving at. I think we spend far too much time on the absolutes, the black and whites than on the little nuanced moments that make up most of life. Life isn’t just happy/sad but ecstatic, joyful, pleased, mournful, pained, remorseful etc.

(Plato wrote) Socrates said: The unexamined life is not worth living. Yes, he must have been talking about looking into our own belief systems, to be critical of the things we hold true. Let me just apply that to our emotions too: Learn to recognize the different shades of colours on your palette, then learn to paint with all of them.

You’ll see that life is much more interesting that you thought it out to be. Have fun!!

No comments: