Monday, June 21, 2010

How it made more sense

Recently, my 写照 was published on 风铃 and I drew out the implications of 1 Cor 12:12-26.
"With God's glory at stake, are we behaving like we can continue serving God without one another's help?"

It was a general question, written not with the intention to pin-point anyone specifically, but to keep us in check of our attitude in service. This question made more sense when I read one of my devotions last week. This is what the author said:

Why is it so hard for me to accept help, especially when a dozen people have offered? In a small way, my attitude smacks of Peter's response to Jesus when the Lord was ready to wash his feet. "What? You, wash my feet? No way, I can't let you serve me like that! You have more important things to do! I'll do it myself!" Guess what's at the center of that attitude? The desire not to "inconvenience" anyone because "I can do it, really" is often intertwined with simple, sinful pride. Accepting help means accepting my limits. It means being humbled by others' service, and I'd rather not, thank you.

Perhaps she is right. The possibility is there. Personally, I think guys have this tendency to take a load more than they can manage. Sadly, the more we try to uphold the masculine front, the more our foolishness and pride become visible. This behavior seems to express the idea that we believe in God but at the same time, believe that we have the strength to take our matters to our own hands.

Where is the humility? Are we really doing things and "DIYing" things out of love and not out of pride? May the Lord humble us as we come to help one another carry burdens.

Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself. (Galatians 6:2-3)

No comments: